Ready to be a big part of our success and have some fun doing it? Do you like having varied assignments in a friendly and supportive environment? Join our small, dedicated team in a senior role as a PHP programmer creating innovative web software for media companies and you might just help shape how newspapers survive in the digital age.
This is an opportunity to have a big impact and to be involved in a wide range of tasks, from direct customer support and site construction to new product development and system administration. We're also a leading print design and consulting firm in the newspaper industry, and we’re all about making money on the web, so there are lots of neat things to learn. We’re located in East Providence, R.I.
We're flexible, but these are the traits and skills we are looking for:
• A deep level of PHP knowledge. Three or more years of experience preferred.
• Development experience in a content-oriented, CMS-driven environment.
• Solid Linux server administration abilities.
• Experience writing SQL and with database design, optimization and management in MySQL and PostgreSQL.
• The ability to make quick sense of legacy code.
• Experience working with APIs and third-party integrations.
• Our customer base is very professional but demanding so direct customer support is a big part of all our roles. You must be able to quickly diagnose and fix problems listen to and discuss issues with clients in lay terminology, and stay calm and cool under pressure.
• Good communicator. Good at brainstorming and working with others.
• Problem-solver with strong initiative. You must be able to take ownership and manage projects with little direction.
• Reliable person who makes deadlines.
While not required, you get bonus points for:
• Mobile site development experience.
• Knowledge or experience or at least an interest in the media industry, especially newspapers.
• Good writing/editing skills.
• Knowledge of Ruby on Rails programming.
• Experience in developing functionality in WordPress including plugin development.
• A good sense of design and UI.
We offer a flexible, friendly and supportive work environment. You will have a strong impact on everything we do and will be involved and listened to. Benefits include competitive salary, stock options and a great health care plan, including dental coverage.
Please send a cover letter, resume, code samples and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only New England applicants will be considered. This is a full-time position, working in our East Providence, R.I., office.
We look forward to meeting you!